Feel free to pass your comments, feedback, advices or recipe requests / suggestions through comments of this blog or email to illatharasi@gmail.com. All your suggestions are welcome!!!



Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Sundakkai Vatha Kuzhambhu (Turkey Berry Curry)

Thaswika had high temperature yesterday because of her vaccination. Though it was normal, I got tensed up seeing her cuddled in my lap. Temperature got reduced from midnight and got a relief after seeing her smile. She was too tired today and streching her legs straight as though asking me to massage her as it was paining for her:)

Coming to the recipe, I got this from one of my school friend. Love this with curd rice. I am OFF from the kitchen for the past 2 months;) these were tried before my delivery:) Until my MIL stays with us, I would be posting my old dishes ;)



Ingredients:
Dry Sundakkai vathal (Dried Turkey Berry) - 1/2 cup
Onion - 1, medium sized chopped
Red chillies - 4-5
Garlic - 5 cloves
Uzhuthu (Black gram dal/Urad dal) - 1/2 tablespoon
Curry leaves - few
Mustard seeds - 1 teaspoon
Asofoetida powder - 1/4 teaspoon
Chilli powder - 1 tablespoon
Tamarind - lemon sized
Rice flour - 1/2 tablespoon
Salt to taste
Oil - 2-3 tablespoons

For powder:
Coriander seeds - 1/2 tablespoon
Lentils (Toor dal) - 1/2 tablespoon
Split Chickpeas (Channa dal) - 1/2 tablespoon
Fenugreek - 1 teaspoon
Garlic - 5 cloves

Method:
Heat pan and fry coriander seeds, channa dal, toor dal and fenugreek for 10 minutes.

Dry grind them with garlic and keep aside.

Soak tamarind in 1-2 cups of water, extract juice and keep aside.

Heat oil in a thick pan and allow mustard seeds to splitter in it.

Add urad dal, garlic, onion, curry leaves, red chillies and fry until onions turn golden brown.

Then add sundakkai vathal, grinded masala powder, asofoetida powder and fry for 10 minutes.

Add chilli powder, tamarind juice, salt to taste and allow it boil.

Dissolve rice flour in 1/4 cup of water and make a thin paste.

Add this to the boiling curry and stir continuosly.

Switch off the flame once it is thick.

Serve hot with plain rice or curd rice or idli or kal dosai.


Cooking time - 40 minutes
Serves 3 persons.

23 Comments:

Indian Khana said...

Madame you are back! Why didnt u tell me? Congrats dear...so we have little vani now :)...Pray she will in pink of health always....so much write here...shall talk with u..

Shama Nagarajan said...

dont worry dear...she will be ok....yummy recipe..please do check my blog for my new event...enjoy participating

Chitra said...

Vathakuzhambu is my fav and that with sundakkai esp..Looks yumm..Me too planning to post the same but in a different method..:)check it out if u find time:)

Sashi said...

First time here, u have a nice collection of blog. Will be visiting often ..:)

Sashi said...

Hi, I have an award for u in my blog. Please grab it.

Kitchen Chronicles said...

Great News. Congrats on your new born baby and Happy Parenting. Sunda Vathakuzhambu is our fav. Looks great.

I am holding a A.W.E.D event in our blog. If you have time please try to participate.

http://delightsofcooking.blogspot.com/2009/08/awed-german-event-announcement_01.html

Raks said...

I love vatha kuzhambu,u r rite,it tastes great with curd rice:)

And I too get tensed if my kid gets fever though its a side of vaccination...its all part of life :)

Valarmathi Sanjeev said...

Wow this is my favorite. Looks lovely and yummy.

My kisses to cute Angel. Take care.

Unknown said...

have a good time with your baby...enjoy all the moments...
i love this vathalkozhumbu and make it quite often..

Priya Suresh said...

Congrats Vani, happy to know about ur cute little princess...Wishing you happy parenting yaar.. Vatha kuzhambu looks delicious...Hugs to ur little cutie pie! hope u is doing well now after her vaccination..

Unknown said...

First time here..Congrats on u;r bundle of joy!!Sundakkai VK is my fave..Urs looks yumm

Pavithra Elangovan said...

LOoks yummy and mouthwatering kulambu All time fav

Vrinda said...

My first visit here..This curry is totally new to me,sounds yum...

lubnakarim06 said...

Nice to see you back....going through u r past posts came to know that u r blessed with baby girl....hope you are having fun time with her.....take care of u and kid dear....recipe looks yum....

Unknown said...

mouthwatering kuzhambhu yummmmm my fav. too vani.

Jaishree Iyer said...

This is my favorite. Looks lovely and yummy.
How is ur cute little princess.My sweet kisses to her. tk cr:)

Madhavi said...

WOW very nice entry, curry looks yummy!!!

Indian Khana said...

Madame pls accept awards n tag frm my space http://indiankhanna.blogspot.com/2009/08/entry-for-ffrakhi-with-awards-tag.html

kamala said...

A traditional vathal kuzhambu. Nice with curd rice.

Unknown said...

Looks authentic and delicious.Perfect accompaniment with rice.

Sanghi said...

Yummy dish.. congrats and thanks for passing the award to me..!

notyet100 said...

whts the other name for turkey berry,..looks yum,..

Illatharasi said...

@ Priyanka, its called Bhankatiya, katai in HIndi